Thursday, February 25, 2010

There’s no place like…. Omaha????

[….and the Corascope Chronicles continue….]

Well, poo.

Sunday morning I awoke happy and blissful and calm…. until I remembered it was Sunday morning, then I just kinda felt sucker-punched by Father Time. I was scheduled to leave Scope and fly back to Seattle at 7:30 pm, so—tick-tick-tick—I could definitely feel the minutes slipping by. And painfully so.


But did I cry? No. Did I mope? Nope. Did I waste our last day together pouting, grumbling, whining, and throwing ridiculous temper tantrums like a spoiled Kindergartener? Well, maybe just a little. But so?

Scope and I, being quite the busy little bees this weekend, did not slack on Sunday either. No way! We took about a mile-long walk around the park; we stopped in a store or two to browse wedding decorations and whatnot; we had a yummy lunch at Paddy O’Splaine’s (corned beef and cabbage for Scope, and a grilled chicken sandwich for me); and (….drum roll please….) we decided on the wording of our wedding invitations, which I plan to order this weekend.


Then we went back home so I could pack my bags, and then far too soon it was time to head for the airport.

We stopped along the way to try to postpone the inevitable by wandering in the The Container Store (which is awesome, by the way!) and then suddenly there we were back at Midway saying goodbye.


My God, I hate that. But, please, these torturous goodbyes are numbered now. And the number is getting pretty small. Do you realize I’ve only got ONE more trip to Chicago before the wedding???? One. Isn’t that crazy? I know! And Scope has only got three more trips to Seattle, folks, and then *BANG* we’ll be married and all this flying back and forth will be over. Criminy!

I took a picture of us in Scope’s car….

….and then, most glumly, we walked into the airport and went our separate ways (for now.)

And that, my friends, brings my story to an end. I WISH!!!!

For some reason there was some serious confusion about which gate my plane would be departing from in Midway. They kept making us switch from gate to gate to gate. And, even more annoying, while they had us playing musical gates, a big ol’ snow storm hit the airport and all the planes had to be deiced. That 7:30 pm flight of mine didn’t take off until 9:00.


About 20 minutes into the flight, just as our plane leveled off in the air and I started doing the math in my head, realizing I likely wouldn’t land at Sea Tac until gone midnight (and my mom and daughter would be waiting there to pick me up – ON A SCHOOL NIGHT. Eeep!), I suddenly noticed the flight attendants scurrying back and forth down the aisle looking alarmingly tense. Uh-oh. I’m not a big fan of tense-looking flight attendants. Frankly, they make me quite nervous. One of them made a frantic announcement asking if there was a doctor or nurse on board.

There wasn’t.

And before the Captain even broke the bad news, I could feel the plane making its descent. Crap. The bad news? Someone at the back of the plane needed immediate medical care and we would be making an emergency landing in Omaha, Nebraska. My odds of getting home by Midnight went spinning and splashing right down the airplane toilet. Sploooosh!

As soon as we landed, this is what I saw….

….a sea of emergency vehicles was racing toward our plane. Paramedics were soon onboard and they removed a barely-conscious woman off the plane. I have no idea what was wrong with her, but she did not look good, and she had no-one travelling with her, which kinda freaked me out somewhat. I mean, surely someone was waiting for her in Seattle, y’know? Can you imagine getting that call from Omaha?…. Yeesh.

After the ill woman was removed, someone in a hazmat suit came in to clean up the lady’s seat. Ewwwwwwww. I don’t even wanna know in what way she’d managed to soil the seat *plugging my ears and singing la-la-la-la-la,* I’m just exceptionally glad I was sitting in ignorant bliss in the front of the plane! Holy cow!

Because we’d landed with a full tank of gas it was deemed an “overweight landing” and our plane had to be inspected and reports had to be filed. It was one lonnnnnggggggggg night just sitting and waiting and waiting and sitting on that stupid plane, staring out at the dark airport in Omaha. But at least it gave me the opportunity to call my mom and tell her NOT to meet me at the airport.

I didn’t get to Sea Tac until about 1:30 am. Then I hailed a cab and got home at about 2:00, and I, oddly, couldn’t get to sleep. Which was an ugly shame since I had to start work at 6:45 am.

*mammoth wimpering yawn*

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Search
© Love Letters By Cora


Scope said...

It was a heavy landing. Or in Southwest Airlines terminology, they "Kevin Smithed" it.

And yes, you should have stayed in Chicago. Absolutely.

SkylersDad said...

I had a flight like that one time coming home from Minneapolis when a lady had a reaction to peanuts. They put that plane down fast!

Candy's daily Dandy said...


Poor lady, I winder what the hell she had and I hope to God it wasn't contageous. (did i spell that right?)

J.J. in L.A. said...

Of all the times I've flown, there's never been a problem. Except for the time we were flying home from CT and the plane left early!

Oh! I had a flight from MN (alone) that was supposed to leave at 9 pm, but didn't leave til 1 am due to a thunderstorm. I probably could've called my cousin and gone back to her house but I didn't think of it. Fortunately, flying west means you make up time and I got home at 3 am, after a 4 1/2 hour flight.

I hope that lady is ok. Omaha isn't a place I'd want to be in for too long. ; )

Vodka Mom said...


I can't believe it. That is CRAZY.

♥ Braja said... Scope on TV or something? I swear I know that face...

Anonymous said...

OK, you win for terrible flights home. That was way worse than my flight with Kristen. Ugh!

See you Sunday at 11. Let me know if you want me to bring anything besides your scentsy order.

Char said...

Again, I am so very happy for you. And, I know your move to Chicago can't come soon enough for you. Glad you had a nice visit.


Heff said...

Travelling is a BITCH.